"If I Were Mayor..." Essay ContestEssay Contest for Alaskans in Grades 9-12
Alaska Municipal League and the Alaska Conference of Mayors are proud to announce the 2021 “If I Were Mayor…” Essay contest for high school students around the state. The contest is an effort to engage young Alaskans in the issues of their municipal government. It is designed to give them an opportunity to use writing, language and civics knowledge to creatively voice their opinions.
- Essays must address the subject with the opening line, “If I were Mayor,”
- Students must be enrolled full-time at a high school (grades 9-12) in Alaska or be registered as a home-schooled student in (grades 9-12) in Alaska for the 2020-21 academic year
- Only one essay may be submitted per student
- Essays must be between 500-750 words
- All essays should be typed. Handwritten essays must be legible for review.
- Essays will be judged on creativity, clarity, sincerity of thought, proper use of grammar and subject relevancy
- AML/ACoM retains the right to publish essays along with the names of each student
- One winner will be selected from each of AML’s director districts. Each of those winners will receive $100 cash prize.
- One of the district winners will be determined the grand prize winner. The grand prize winner will receive $1000.
How to Enter
Complete the entry form and submit it with essay. Essays can be submitted by mail, online below, email or fax. All essays must be received no later than 4:00 PM on Friday, April 30. Winners will be announced Monday, May 10.
Submit essays to:
AML Essay Contest
One Sealaska Plaza, Suite 200
Juneau, AK 99801
If you have any questions, please email or call Portland Highbaugh, Program Coordinator at email@example.com or 907-790-5306. We look forward to reading your essays!